2.11.2010

Sharing the Gospel

My Bible study has been themed this past week-I love it when that happens! It means God is trying to tell me something! I've been studying different books-one with one of my disciples about evangelism and, of course, When I Don't Desire God by John Piper. Last week, all my reading was about sharing the Gospel-and not just to others, but to myself and the Enemy too.

Here are my reflections:

Sharing the Gospel With Others

I know I'm supposed to do it, as a follower of Christ. Even more, it's part of my ministry! But, even so, I lose the passion to do it. That's why it's been a great refresher to study about the heart of evangelism with my girls.

I love the passage in John 1:35-51, which describes how some of Jesus' first followers shared their faith. They were young-brand new followers. They knew very little and yet they ran to tell those they loved about Christ.

I am going to focus on Philip and Nathanael because that is my favorite part of this passage. Philip, with very little knowledge, ran to find and tell Nathanael about Jesus. Notice that Philip did it urgently and intentionally. He didn't just share with whoever was most convenient or yell out on the streets. He rant to find Nathanael and tell him.

Nathanael scoffed at him, "Nazareth! Can anything good come from there" This didn't stop Philip. "Come and see for yourself," he simply responded and then brought Nathanael to Jesus.

I love this part of the passage because it addresses two of my greatest fears in evangelism and that of my students: lack of knowledge and rejection.

Philip just met Jesus. All he knew was that Jesus was the Messiah whom was prophesied about in the Law and Prophets. His lack of knowledge didn't stop him from telling others about Jesus. His faith and joy in Christ surpassed his lack of knowledge.

Nathanael scoffs at Philip and yet that doesn't stop Philip either. He doesn't become offended or angrily try to debate Nathanael. He simply takes Nathanael to Jesus and lets Him prove Himself to Nathanael. And guess what? Nathanael surrenders his life to Christ!

Philip is a great example of how we should approach evangelism: with humble boldness and faith. So what if we don't have all the answers? God is bigger than all of our question marks. So what if someone laughs in our face? Their need to hear the Gospel is greater than our need for man's acceptance!

Lord, help me be like Philip and share the Gospel with humble boldness. Let my faith faith take over my fears of rejection.

Later, I will write about the other two topics: preaching the Gospel to Myself and to the Enemy.

No comments: