1.27.2010

The Burro

So after 1.5 months, we've settled into married life in Greensboro. We are enjoying it! It's nice to be back working with college students and even having friends over to our new place. Here are a few of my "first" reactions to living here:

1) I love living a stone's throw away from the train station. We get to hear trains go by at night and it is comforting. It reminds me of the good old days in the dorms of NC State where I first had to get accustomed to trains rattling bye. Of course, I dislike waiting for a train to cross the road during the day if I'm driving around...but gotta take the bad with the good. And it is mostly good.

2) I also like living close enough to walk (check this link out to find how walkable your neighborhood is...we scored an 88 or very walkable) to all the places downtown. We have restaurants, theaters, museums, art galleries, and antique shops that are all easily accessible on foot. It helps us to feel like we are in a bigger city and, at the same time, like we are in a more connected community as well.


3) We get to hear the NC A&T band practice every Sunday afternoon. Their drumline throws down!

4) This is the only negative thing that I'll say so far...the people here can't drive a lick! I think they are stuck between thinking that they are driving out in the country (where anything goes...you don't have to drive in your lane, don't have to use turn signals, and you can pull out anytime or turn around whenever you want) and in the city (where you have to yield to pedestrians, pay attention to who's around you, and other common sense things). You know it's bad when your out of town wedding guests almost all mention how crazy people drive here.

5) I will continue to study up on my Greensboro history and culture and keep you all updated as to our life and ministry in Greensboro and the Triad!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That site with the "walk score" is cool. I only got a 37, which is to be expected b/c I could basically only really walk to Sheetz. Of course, it is the nice Sheetz with the tables inside. :-)

Jay said...

Treece never uses turn signals :) He'd fit in there proper

Lauren said...

Update made :) Thanks for telling me, it would have taken a while for me to notice! Peace!